Yep! Here he is pre-transfusion in his Sesame Street pjs. We did it! He did great! He was such a good baby today. He just walked around checking things out. There were alot of "No No's" in his reach and he touched none! I could hardly believe it! My sweet mom went with me today, since Bryan was out of town. She was a TON of help. After our 1 1/2 hour trip, we finally arrived. They took us straight back and got ready to do the IV. He cried, but stopped as soon as they stopped poking at him with sharp objects. They took some blood and we waited... A substitute doctor saw us, and was FABULOUS! Me thinky, me gonna be requesting a change. She said that they were doing a test to determine if his blood cell maker was producing any cells at all. I asked her what she was comparing it to. She told me that the other doctor had done one too. (It would have been nice if that doctor had shared the info with me). And then, we waited... She said that if it showed any activity, that she would not transfuse him. And then we waited...The test came back and was a big fat ZILCHO. I was kinda torn though. I wanted him to not need the transfusion, but had accepted it in my heart, so I had some mixed feelings. I had painted a picture in my mind of him with beautiful pink glowing skin and lots of energy. I knew that God had heard my prayer for no transfusion, I just wondered if He was just checking to see if I believed. And then we waited... They came and drew more blood to make sure that my blood and his were compatible. And then we waited... After WAITING, we started the transfusion, which lasted about 2-3 hours. He slept through the whole thing! My mom and I caught up on some HGTV while my little angel, slept on my chest. (I still can't believe that I forgot my camera. I guess that I had some more important things to think about.) He got his IV out and away we went. He will have his level checked Wednesday. I am praying that he will be making his own cells. The transfusion does not stimulate him, it only buys us some time. The MD said that even when he starts to make cells, he will be pale for about 6 more months, so don't adjust your screen contrast, that is his REAL color. The doctor said something as we were getting ready to leave that I had thought about too. She said, "Just think, you got to give LIFE to your child twice!" I felt proud of my Bryce and how well he had behaved and received the blood. What a tough guy! He is tougher than....tougher than....yea! He is tougher than WOODPECKER LIPS! lol

5 comments:
I'm glad it went well, and that you did ok. Kids are tougher than us alot of times:)
Hey Gwen! We've been praying for you and sweet little Bryce!! I can't even imagine being in your shoes--what a scary ordeal! But you seem to be handling it with grace, confidence and mega FAITH that God is going to do an amazing work through your little boy! Sending love, thoughts and prayers your way and hoping for good news on Wednesday!
God love little man Bryce. It is breaking my heart so I KNOW it is yours. I am ready for a great report from the doctor and for his little body to get busy making those RBC. We missed you on Tuesday and prayed for Bryce.
Isaiah 40:11 "He tends His flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in His arms and carries them close to His heart; He gently leads those that have young."
Praying for you as God gently leads you through this time.
I Love You!
He is still so darn cute, pale or not! I am so relieved things went well for you. I had hoped he would not have to get the transfusion, but alteast he was able to get your blood. I can't believe how good he was too. I had to take Walker to the ER for and IV once when he was almost 2 and it was a nightmare! Glad it went so smoothly for you. I'll keep praying for y'all and hopefully he won't need another transfusion.
what a tough boy. sorry I was MIA. Internet issues.
hugs!
I really hope he starts making his own cells NOW!
Post a Comment